Thursday, December 10, 2015

What draws YOU to Molly

"What is it about Molly that makes you click on the blog to read about her?" was my question posed to you last week. Turns out she has a lot of qualities that lure folks to her and there were some responses that you are interested in Brooke, Jack, and me too.

Here is an assortment of answers with a quick description of the person who shared it:

"The thing I love about Molly is how she teaches all of us to savor the small treasures in life - a new bracelet, a slice of her favorite pizza. It is her happy, positive spirit that she shares with all around her."  

Sarah Magner: My high school friend who spent 5 days at the beach with Molly



"Honestly what draws me to Molly and your posts is the look of peace and joy on her face. This may be just what I am seeing and I am not seeing the times that are not as peaceful and joyous. Which leads me to the question I would ask 'are you as happy and joyous and as at peace as you appear to be in all your pics?", ' is it your family (brother and mom and dad) that bring you this sense of peace?". The pic that I keep going back to is the one of her in the blue t-shirt recently at the doctors office. It is an absolutely beautiful picture to me." 

Margaret Eck: My high school friend who does not know Molly




What I've always been impressed with re Molly is that she seems truly happy. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure that's the case with most ASD kids."

Becky Dirksen: Soul Sista mom of a daughter with autism




"I love Molly's happy energy....it's so obvious every time I'm with her that she cherishes her family and feels so loved....must be why she is always beaming:-)" 

Wendy Ferrara: My cousin who has overlapped a few times with Molly



 "I'm drawn to the joy and pride I feel when she "gets" something. It's great when a lightbulb goes on for her, and I can see the satisfaction on her face that she too knows that she accomplished whatever the task may have been. I love to watch her grow, change and mature. I adore the little nuances of her: her verbal responses, her compulsory tidying up, and her sweet need to please people around her. She is such a delight. I'm so honored to get to work with her!" 


Jill McCracken: Molly's SPED teacher in high school and now her transition coordinator. Jill has been SUCH a gift to us since she started at MSHS



"Kathy, it's not just Molly that drives me to your blogs, even though our one camping trip years ago we fell in love with her! She'd sit outside our camper waiting for Don to come out each morning at Monarch camp ground. But it's just so nice to hear how you as a family have embraced what has been thrown at you. Not everything is perfect but your family is so strong and the love between you all is amazing. You and Brooke have raised 2 amazing kids! Your blogs give insight to others to embrace the little joys in life and that not everything is easy but standing together you can move ahead. I love the sibling bond between Jack and Molly. Jack is going to be an amazing adult in part by his parents and his experience of growing up with Molly. I really think you should write a book because so many of us look forward to your blog posts!"

 Jill Markworth: Teacher friend  who moved to another school district when the kids were young but we've stayed in touch via FB





"Molly's wonderful swimming skills and love for water caught my attention (at Valley)."  

Molly Stevens: School Board/pool friend/ Crossfit extraordinaire gal




Although Molly is part of our family and we've watched her grow up through photos and short visits, last summer when we visited and "met" the maturing Molly I think the thing that impressed me most was that she was so relaxed. Remember how she hugged Dan spontaneously?! She seemed to have no trouble letting us stay in her room--for various reasons, I know--but she was just natural and normal and relaxed with us. I liked that a lot. She seems to be a people person, which in a family like yours (and by extension ours) is a really good thing.

 Deb Secor: My moms cousin so my second cousin?




"Kathy, I think that you are very transparent about all of Molly's successes and challenges and this makes your story very accessible to all of us to learn and understand a bit more. Because you and your family are open, this encourages us all to want to be more engaged in her world. I think people's general nature is to honor other's privacy. You allow us in and share. Because of this, you let us ask questions and it never seems awkward or an invasion. Your stories have made us all a bit more empathetic and more engaged in the conversations about autism. As we have to respect those that are not as transparent, we can give you a high five for sharing Molly with us all. xoxo" 

Martha Marzolf: Realtor Extraordinaire and dear friend





"I'm drawn to Molly because I feel there is so much inside her. If I just am patient and watch and listen maybe I can catch some of it. I always feel she knows me even though I don't see her frequently and that she is making her own polite internal dialogue. Kinda like " oh Hi lady across the street with big dogs who talks fast and smiles too much. How are you? Ok. I'm a little busy with........and need to go. Bye" 

Tina Vidovich: Middle and High School Principal with an autism program and wonderful neighbor




"I love seeing her progress and her independence (such as her leading hikes and venturing out far ahead of you). It's just fun to hear about all your family interactions. It is a real privilege, Kathy, to walk with you and Brooke through all the events of your life!

Jean Bodman: FOREVER Bell family friend 




"Molly has grown up beautifully, Kathy...she is full of courage (and happiness) and you should be very proud of her!"

 Dana Connor: Soul Sista autism mom whose son Henry went to school with Molly. We were all devastated when he died of a seizure a few years ago.





"I have to say, I am more curious about what draws people to you? I am so wildly attracted to the way you share I can hardly stand it. Years ago we did a yoga class together and you stopped in the middle of buzz breathing ( remember?) to tell us you might have figured out why Molly hums-to shut the rest of the chatter out. I think about that epiphany at least once a week. I for one am drawn not only to your willingness to share but your willingness to go there. Can you imagine what a delicious world our kiddos would live in if each and every one of us were willing to explore that place in our kiddos brains (autistic or not)? I miss all of your faces!#bellfanclub

Ashley Jones: Dear neighborhood friend who dogged us and moved to Iowa. We miss their faces too. 




 "I posted a comment on your blog, but I will shorten here, basically, we are interested in her because you put it OUT THERE. You have let us in to get to know Molly and want her to succeed and you have shown us your hopes and dreams for her. I cannot wait to visit the tiny house village you WILL create! Basically we love her because you are awesome in sharing her with us."

 Leigh Bhe: (pronounced LEE BEE which I love). My college friend



"I don't know Molly, but I know you're an amazing mother. You always inspire me!"

 Kim Brewer: My college friend



"Kathy, I have to say that I'm drawn to your posts for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I have no experience with autism, and so it's educational and eye opening to read your posts and to have a glimpse into your life and what others must deal with. I'm drawn to your posts, as others are I'm sure, because you are candid and warm and insightful. The creativity that you use in sculpting a life for Molly, bringing all the best for her, is remarkable, and I stand in awe of all that you have done for her. I hope to use some of your ideas and energy to craft a beautiful life for Lily as well. Sadly, we don't really know Molly, except for your posts, but we love what we know of her." 

Jean Griesan: Mom who I met in MOPS but then reconnected with after one of her young twin daughters suffered a TBI. I'm so full of admiration for their family.



"When I was in college, I listened to a cassette where this family shared their story of their daughter who could never speak, smile, walk, or pretty much do anything, yet when she died at a young age, all these friends told how their little girl changed them. Even though, Molly, does much more than their sweet girl, I have often thought of this story in light of Molly. It is like there is a secret place that kids like Molly hold. It's almost like this inability to put judgement on anyone. It's an innocence that can't be conjured up or worked on or developed. I love that." 

Holly Walls: Jack's piano teacher, fabulous neighbor, amazing blogger "Writing in Pencil" if you ever want to get caught up in a great story and family. I LOVE her "secret place" description.





"Regarding Molly, you can't put into words, evaluations or scales that which is truly pure joy, vulnerable innocence, profound humility and raw pain. Molly will always bring others to a place of wonder because you can't really know her and you will always be surprised by her. She elicits a certain kind of love that hovers under language and thought." 

Maura Hall: Molly's speech therapist that came out of retirement to help her in high school too. AMAZING gift to us all. She knows my girl so well and this quote is deep and true and made me cry.





Self portrait
There you have it amazing friends and family! Your taking the time to answer my question is such a gift to my heart as I search for words and understanding of autism and my daughter that lives with it. 



















No comments: