Thursday, February 11, 2016

Autism Speaks is having a competition for housing solution ideas for adults with autism!!!

Another amazing Lars Leber photo of moon over Pikes Peak


Don't you love that feeling when the stars and planets align and you talk to the perfect person at the perfect time? That happened to me last night at Molly's Special Olympics basketball game. In my constant blab-fest about "creating a forever community for Molly" this lovely mom that I was chatting with said: "Well, have you seen the competition that Autism Speaks is running?"

Say What? No. There are others who are thinking this same thing?!! It's like when we named our son "Jack" thinking that we loved the name and no one else was using it. Come to find out that EVERYONE who had a son in 1998 named their son Jack too. :)

As soon as I got home, I logged onto the Autism Speaks website and saw that there was a webinar TODAY that would give us all the details on submissions for our "Belief-busting breaks throughs" for housing solutions for adults with autism. This challenge started Oct 15th, 2015 and final submissions are due on March 1st. Winners will be announced on April 19, 2016. How cool that I found out about it just in time for the webinar with all the details.

Here are some grim stats that they cited:

-81% of adults with autism live with their parents.
-500,000 individuals with autism will be entering adulthood over the next ten years.
-Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis are increasing 10-17% annually.


I like their parameters as they look globally for solutions in this competition. Just putting our kids into an apartment does not create "community".



See on the graph that only 1% of adults with autism need no support! Molly is in the "35% need 24 hour support" category.



I like that there are three categories that you can submit ideas for. Of course many ideas would be awesome for all three groups and they ask that you submit your idea for each. I also like how they use the word "safely" time and time again. I think that as parents of these very naive individuals, we are hyperly worried about their safety. And it shows with the parameters. And that I'm not the only worry wart.

Also note that this may come in many forms: technology, architecture design, strategic partnerships, new business models, etc, etc. They sky is truly the limit in the "think outside the box" for the future of these kids.



I would love to encourage EVERYONE to submit ideas. See the website above for details. Even if we don't win the $50,000 prize, at least it is building momentum in finding solutions for our kids, their siblings and we parents when we aren't around to take care of our Molly's of the world.

I'll show you my submission when it is done!! Looks like I have two weeks to spit shine it.

No comments: