Sunday, January 17, 2016

"Where will Molly live?"

Driving to my favorite yoga class today, my mind kept spinning about my "purpose" in life. I was taking in the surrounding beauty of Colorado, my stunning Pikes Peak, but enjoying my toasty seat warmer at the same time as this beach lover still hasn't fallen in love with winter despite living here for 24 years. Once at the gym and sitting on my mat, the teacher slowly guided us into that quiet space to prepare for an hour of slow flow yoga. She said "Now is a good time to ask for clarity on your purpose or set your intention for your practice today". Has she EVER asked us about our purpose before or was she talking just to me? It was so timely and awesome. It was time to pay attention to what came up in the next hour.

I rushed home zen style (oxymoron?) to write down what had come to me. Some of it has been nagging at me for years (remember the "Insert Foot in Mouth" 4/11/14 where Molly sobbed when I said that she would live with us for the rest of her life story?) and some of the ideas were new. Want to hear about my new non paying job?

It is time to create a Tiny House community where higher functioning adults with disabilities can live in community and participate actively to the best of their abilities. Locally there is a big movement to house the homeless so this is a great conversation for the disabled community too. I envision there will be gardening so that Molly and her peers can grow their own food and raise chickens to harvest their own eggs. Let the buildings be solar paneled and environmentally conscious to keep the bills lower. Each client can live in their own tiny house that will be custom created for their needs (i.e. no microwave or stove for Molly). Parents can live in their own tiny homes nearby but will not be required to live there year round as this community will be staffed by professionals who will run and manage the community. One main lodge will house the kitchen and dining hall for 3 meals a day. There will also be a community room for games, movie watching, dancing, arts and crafts, puzzles, etc. A hang out area with a huge fireplace to read and congregate. An outdoor fire pit for relaxing and marshmallow roasting.



Depending on how much land and where this is located will depend on what the trade will be for them to generate an income and keep the clients busy during the day while giving them a sense of purpose and reason to get up every day. Car wash? Recycling? Make soaps/lotions and bath products? Or if this location is still in the El Paso County/Teller County area, can our kids still tap into the local resources and go to their jobs locally? I think that it can be a combination of it all.

Organic farming


What do I mean by "higher functioning adult"? They can be left unattended for 10-15 minutes. They are not medically high needs/ bed bound etc. They do not have major behavior issues. They are not runners. They still need significant support with ......everything. But are relatively easy people to be around and work with.

Side by Side?
Or strewn about in the woods?


We are a generation of helicopter parents. Some of us more so than others. I'm a 1/2 helicopter-er. For my daughter, I have to hover. For our son, we allow life to teach him most of his life lessons as we help him navigate the highs and lows and incrementally give him more freedoms as well as responsibilities. So when I imagine Molly going and living somewhere other than with us, I get a panicy feeling. Until others are screened and trained up, I'm not sure she would be as happy as she is now? But I also know that it wouldn't take long for her to learn the schedule. Systems can be created to prompt meal time, work time, free time such as: lights flashing? A loud speaker: "Dinner time!"? Or that can be on of Spencer's jobs as he is aware of all times and could come let Molly know? :) Our kids thrive on schedules (and scheduled down time) and we would create one for the benefit of all in a community atmosphere.

So I imagine not every parent wants to live in this community? That's even the case in our family. I'd love it, Brooke isn't as intrigued. I picture a variety of disabilities too. The "kids" (sorry I keep saying this but am having a hard time transitioning Molly into the adult world still) with autism really need and benefit from the very social, talkative kids with Downs Syndrome. Adults living with a Traumatic Brain Injury would be a good fit here too. I hope that I can lure my brother Dave to come one day!! Low medical needs folks with Cerebral Palsy too. We can incorporate retired adults that would love to live and benefit in this community setting too.  How can we cross pollinate a variety of sectors from our communities that can help support each other by living, growing, eating, and living together to make life meaningful for all?

Here is a great article about an Alzheimer's community in the Netherlands. Can't we use a similar model?

www.abcnews.go.com/Health/AlzheimersCommunity/alzheimers-disease-dutch-village-dubbed-truman-show-dementia/story?id=16103780

I love the care that went into creating an environment where they can thrive. They can roam safely. They can shop, get their hair cut and live in a space that feels like home. It's a beautiful concept.

Here is my kicker though since Molly LOVES the water and I do too.  I want another community in NC/SC/Ga near a lake or a beach where we can split our time. We parents are at that age where we are ready for warmer weather and living in Colorado year around doesn't cut it for this beach lover. Now that Surf Side Beach in SC has proclaimed themselves "an autism friendly travel destination" maybe we tap into their positivity and create a year round tiny house community there too? We could provide lodging for visiting families and thus generate an income this way to keep the community financially sound. Win, Win! And as this concept grows, can we have communities all over the USA where we can travel and share tiny houses and visit each other with an open welcome mat of understanding and support? What a beautiful thought!

On the beach


I can't stop looking at the house on the water! Once I get Colorado up and running, you can find me at our beach location!! Who's in? Especially those of you that can write a business plan.....

No comments: