Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Friends make the world go 'round!

Tribute in the weekend brochure


I am more than blessed in life to surround myself with amazing girlfriends; through my childhood, high school, college and motherhood, I have shared laughter and tears with them all. Facebook has given me the luxury of staying connected with strong, compassionate, smart women all through the years and for that I feel thankful.

So imagine my heart being touched by this beautiful tribute to both Molly and me at this past weekends Rocky Mountain Women's Film Festival here in Colorado Springs. The ladies from my book club (wine club): Anita, Carla, Jennifer, Tyra, Lisa and Karen as well as two other friends Sonya and Kathy sponsored the autism film "How to Dance in Ohio" in our name. If you have not seen it yet, it is playing on HBO and will teach you so much about our lives. Even I learned from the film and have more compassion for those that are verbal and who struggle with high anxiety and social deficits.

The editor of the film was in attendance and answered our questions afterwards. She said that the film maker wanted to have an autism film that wasn't like most of the others. She didn't want all the stats and figures of the autism epidemic showcased and she wanted the voices of the kids portrayed instead of the parents, which are mostly showcased in the other films. They wanted to portray equally the number of males and females but ultimately the boys only wanted to play on their video games and didn't talk very much (ha!). So they only used the girls footage since they were more insightful into their feelings and emotions which made it more entertaining for the viewers.

I hope that legislatures, teachers, therapists, friends, families and neighbors can all see this film as you will leave feeling touched by these people and their challenges. And in the end, hopefully there is more compassion and understanding for this challenging disability.

In the meantime, THANK YOU to all of my dear friends who continue to support us and touch our hearts while we raise our sweet Molly.

No comments: